Position: Assistant Planner
Hours: Full time, Salaried (some evening and weekend work required)
Supervisor: Director of Planning
Salary Range: $45,000 – $55,000
Desired Start Date: June 2021
Circulate San Diego is hiring a new entry-level Assistant Planner to be a part of our dynamic planning team. The new teammate will help Circulate to effectively deliver and manage active transportation planning and community outreach projects.
As a nonprofit think tank, Circulate uses advocacy, research, and planning to advance our mission of creating excellent mobility choices, and vibrant healthy neighborhoods. Our office culture is both collaborative and kind. Everyone is motivated by our mission, and a shared sense of purpose.
In addition to the competitive salary, the organization also offers generous benefits, a friendly work environment, 401(k), parental leave, sick time, and vacation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Deliver assigned projects in accordance with funding agreements and contracts, ensuring that all policies and procedures are followed, and all goals and objectives are met.
- Assist with on-the-ground deliverables such as mobility assessments, placemaking installations outreach and education programs, pedestrian safety workshops, advocacy trainings, community assessments, open streets and pop up events, data collection, etc.
- Assist with the production of technical reports, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and data collection analysis, and public outreach documents.
- Support marketing and communications efforts through the development of blog posts, social media and marketing documents.
- Create and maintain accurate, organized, and complete project files including all documents required for local, state, and federal regulatory compliance, and all project related materials, reports, documents, contact lists, meeting notes, etc. for necessary and effective delivery.
- Effectively communicative with supervisor and colleagues via written and oral channels including email, telephone, and Zoom.
- Produce regular written and oral activity reports for supervision, for the Board and as required by funders.
- Assist in the compilation of data and light research necessary to design and deliver projects to a high standard and in a timely manner.
- Contribute to the development of project proposals, development of leads, identification of potential new funding opportunities, marketing and publicity materials.
- Support other staff and the Board in delivering the mission of Circulate San Diego and contribute to the overall growth and development of the organization.
- Represent the organization in meetings with other nonprofit groups and public sector organizations and foster collaborative working relationships to accomplish mutual goals and objectives.
- Organize broad community support and advocate in targeted jurisdictions to promote active transportation in communities and for specific improvements in neighborhood pedestrian environments.
- Perform related work as required dependent on the necessary skills, experience and aptitudes, and subject to such additional responsibilities falling within the general duties of the position.
As a member of the Circulate San Diego leadership team, the Director of Planning is expected to contribute to its overall mission, and:
- Contribute to the friendly and collaborative work environment
- Approach all of our work through the lens of advancing our value-oriented mission
- Assume responsibility for following all policies and procedures
- Attend Board, committee and other internal meetings, as required
- Provide a high level of client service at all times
- Project and maintain a positive image on behalf of Circulate San Diego.
- Degree in Urban Planning, Geography, or related field, or 2 years or more of related work
- Passion for education and community engagement
- Experience working with MS Office, Ajera, GIS, and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Motivated and solutions-oriented
- Spanish fluency a plus
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary, $45,000 – $55,000, depending on experience
- Health and dental coverage
- 401(k) match of up to 7% employer contribution with 3% employee contribution
- 10 paid holidays
- 10 vacation days
- 10 sick days
- Paid parental leave
- Professional development fund
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible work schedule
HOW TO APPLY
Circulate San Diego values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and any relevant work product examples to [email protected], and with the subject line “Assistant Planner Application.” No phone calls please.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. This job description is subject to review and amendment in light of experience and in the annual employee review process.