Check out this week's featured stories:
1. Intro Spotlight: Jesse O’Sullivan
2. Casita Coalition Best Practices Webinar Series
3. 30th Street Bike Lane Coalition Letter of Support
4. Wrapping up the Oceanside Safe Routes to School Plan
Intro Spotlight: Jesse O’Sullivan
Join us in welcoming our newest team member and Policy Counsel, Jesse O’Sullivan! As is our tradition, we interviewed Jesse so our supporters and members can get to know him.
To read his intro/spotlight, Click Here
Casita Coalition Best Practices Webinar Series
Join the Casita Coalition on February 26th from 11 AM -12:30 PM for our new monthly webinar series highlighting Best Practices in the world of ADUs.
Their keynote speaker for the event will be Senator Mike McGuire, representing the 2nd Senate District (North Coast / North Bay Area).
They are delighted to shine a spotlight on recent innovations in Napa and Sonoma Counties, a region that has been hit particularly hard by wildfires. Join Sonoma County’s Permit Sonoma Planners Katrina Braehmer & Nina Bellucci, and Renee Schomp, Executive Director of Napa Sonoma ADU an ADU one-stop-shop for homeowners. They will feature a live Q&A with a Guest Panel of ADU experts and share insights into critical partnerships, community-building, and the process of working with City and County departments to address the need for additional housing.
Registration is FREE – CLICK HERE!
30th Street Bike Lane Coalition Letter of Support
While the use of streets for outdoor dining during the COVID-19 pandemic has been a necessary adjustment, that use should not delay bicycle infrastructure. Investing in protected bike lanes on 30th Street will create a critical north-south spine in the broader North Park and Mid-City network.
Circulate San Diego joined a coalition letter to San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria reaffirming its support for protected bike lanes on 30th Street. Read the coalition letter here.
Wrapping up the Oceanside Safe Routes to School Plan
Circulate had the pleasure of serving as a subconsultant to Alta Planning + Design for the Oceanside Safe Routes Plan. We thoroughly enjoyed this multi-year effort partnership with the City of Oceanside, Oceanside Unified School District, and Vista Unified School District.
Program highlights include:
- 76 stakeholders from 26 schools attended walk audits;
- 235 students shared their daily transportation mode using the National Center Safe Routes to School Student Tally Sheet;
- 856 parents completed our parent surveys;
- 3 (pre-covid) outreach events;
- 3,000+ coloring books were distributed to elementary schools in the Oceanside and Vista Unified School District.
We look forward to seeing infrastructure projects, education program, and encouragement activities continue to grow in the City of Oceanside!
Biking + Heart Health
In celebration of Heart Month, we want to remind everyone of the health benefits of biking.
- Bicycling is low impact and causes less strain and injuries than most other forms of exercise.
- A good muscle workout – cycling uses all of the major muscle groups, including your heart, as you pedal.
- Easy – unlike some other sports, cycling does not require high levels of physical skill.
- Most people know how to ride a bike and, once you learn, you don’t forget.
- Good for strength, stamina, and aerobic fitness.
- Cycling can help to protect you from serious diseases such as stroke, heart attack, depression, diabetes, obesity and arthritis.
- Bicycling is as intense as you want it to be. It can be done at very low intensity to begin with and be built up to a demanding physical workout.
- A fun way to get fit– the adventure and buzz you get from coasting down hills and being outdoors means you’re more likely to continue to cycle regularly.
We hope these benefits inspire you to get rolling this month!
Circulate in the News
Meet your new District 9 representative, SDnews.com, February 15, 2021
Grant Program Seeks CA Community Improvements to Fund, Public News Service, February 17, 2021