Position: Assistant or Associate Planner
Hours: Full time, Salaried (some evening and weekend work required)
Supervisor: Executive Director and Director of Planning
Salary: Assistant Planner: $50,000 to $65,000/ Associate Planner: $60,000 to $75,000
Start Date: November 2022
This is a unique opportunity for an entry level to medium level planning professional to join a high-profile organization and a team of collaborative and dynamic planners. This position is perfect for a lateral jump into a nonprofit, or for an up-and-comer looking to take the next step in their career to develop leadership, management, and business skills.
Under the supervision of the Director of Planning, and the Executive Director where appropriate, the Assistant or Associate Planner is responsible for contributing to all activities and functions of Circulate’s value-oriented fee-for-service planning division. As a nonprofit think tank, Circulate uses advocacy, research, and planning to advance our mission of creating excellent mobility choices and vibrant, healthy neighborhoods.
Duties include project management, planning and programmatic work, community engagement, business development, and proposal writing. Our planning team delivers high quality active transportation planning and outreach services. In addition to the competitive salary, the organization also offers generous benefits, a friendly work environment, 401(k), parental leave, sick time, and vacation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides a range of excellent planning services for our active transportation and community outreach clients and partners.
- Cultivates relationships with current and potential private, government, and non-government clients, funders, and project partners to maintain and expand a current book of fee-for-service business and grant-funded planning and other activities.
- Assists the Director of Planning with writing proposals and grants to fund projects, prepares budgets, and project scopes.
- Represents the organization in meetings and acts as representative to a variety of public agencies, businesses, community groups, and other nonprofit organizations; fosters collaborative working relationships to accomplish mutual goals and objectives.
- Prioritizes and allocates available project resources; reviews and evaluates service delivery, makes recommendations for and executes changes in operations where necessary; assists in developing new projects, including researching, compiling and analyzing support data.
- Partners with Executive Director and policy staff to identify where planning efforts and policy advocacy can collaborate to advance the overall organizational mission to create excellent mobility choices and vibrant, healthy neighborhoods.
- Develops systems and maintains records that provide for the evaluation, control, and documentation of assigned projects; assists with invoicing processes, prepares a variety of written correspondence, reports, procedures, directives, and other materials, as required.
- Develops, analyzes, synthesizes, and uses reports and other materials as a policy development tool; develops recommendations and reports to address community concerns and goals.
- Utilizes software tools such as GIS, Adobe Creative Suite, and Microsoft Office to meet organizational needs.
- Performs related work as required dependent on the necessary skills, experience and aptitudes, and subject to such additional responsibilities falling within the general duties of the position.
As a staff member of Circulate San Diego, the Associate or Senior Planner is expected to contribute to its overall mission, and:
- Contribute to the friendly and collaborative work environment of Circulate San Diego
- Approach all of our work through the lens of advancing our value-oriented mission
- Assume responsibility for following all policies and procedures
- Attend Board, committee and other internal meetings, as required
- Provide a high level of client service at all times
- Project and maintain a positive image on behalf of Circulate San Diego
- Bachelors or Graduate Degree (or comparable experience) in Planning, Engineering, or other relevant field,
- Experience in active transportation planning, community engagement, and/or relevant field. 2-4 years for Associate Planner, 4+ years for Senior Planner.
- Familiarity with preparing proposals for fee-for-service planning work
- Ability to prospect and write grants to philanthropic funders
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Experience working with GIS, and the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Spanish fluency a plus
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary: Assistant Planner: $50,000 to 65,000; or Associate Planner: $60,000 to $75,000
- Health and dental coverage
- 401(k) match of up to 7% employer contribution with 3% employee contribution
- 10 annual vacation days
- 10 paid holidays
- 10 annual sick days
- Paid parental leave
- Professional development fund
- Flexible and hybrid work environment
How to Apply
Circulate San Diego values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people are encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and any relevant work product examples to [email protected], and with the subject line “Planner Application.” No phone calls please.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. This job description is subject to review and amendment in light of experience and in the annual employee review process.